Monday, July 17, 2023

Project Vespa Smallframe - AC Horn

The sound of the original DC horn operating on the clipped AC through a rectifier and capacitor filter, just wasn't satisfying me.  It doesn't sound the same as operated from a battery.  There had to be a way to make the horn louder.  After all it is a safety issue.  If you blow your horn, you want to be heard.

I had purchased a 12VAC horn from India via eBay.  It is a nice build quality, but of course it was made for a Primavera, and the hole pattern was too small to fit the unique 100 Sport.  I had pondered this for months, and really didn't give it any action until this rainy weekend.

Since the reproduction 12VAC horn hole pattern was smaller, I could potentially graft it to the original 100 Sport horn cover.  This would require removing the rivets, and make a paper pattern of the adapter.  I could then cut out the adapter ring from whatever metal I happened to have laying around the shop.  I could use the same soft-aluminum wire to make replacement rivets to hold the whole assembly together.  I had nothing to lose, the DC horn could still be put back together if I wasn't satisfied... I had already taken it apart once before.

Things came apart easily.  No photos taken during the Dremel tool cutoff disc work.

I got to work drafting the paper model of the adapter ring.

Here are all the parts that will be used.

After crafting each aluminum rivet one-by-one, we have a completed AC horn mechanism grafted to the original horn cover.  It sounds nice and loud.



No comments:

Post a Comment