Sunday, January 30, 2022

Vespa GTS hpe - Turn Signal Beeper

 One lacking feature of the Vespa GTS is a sounder for the turn signals.  Since the turn signals don't self cancel on the scooter, you have to remember to turn them off.  (Gee, my 1979 Yamaha had self-cancelling turn signals, why can't they do that today?)  The only indication the rider gets that the turns signals are on is a little lamp on the instrument cluster.  If I'm watching traffic, I'm not looking at my instrument cluster.  In a busy traffic environment it could be dangerous to leave a turn signal on.  It can also be annoying to fellow riders when you are in a group.  In any case leaving the turn signals on is not accurately representing the rider's intentions.

What I needed was a simple way to add a turn signal beeper.  The one on my Stella is way TOO LOUD, but I never forget to turn it off.  The easiest thing to do was run some wires back from the front turn signal bulb connectors.  This proved much easier than I imagined due to the high quality electrical components that Piaggio uses.  This turns out to be a quick project for a snowy day.

The existing wires are shown with the squiggle at the end back to the existing harness.  I used some diodes out of my junk drawer, but a pair of 1N4001 diodes will work.  They just block the DC electricity from going back to the opposite turn signal.

The diode module on a small piece of perf board.




The white connector housing may be opened by spreading the two tabs, and unlocking the fold-out holder at the wire-side of the connector.  Don't force it or it will break.  Use a needle to gently lift the plastic tab INSIDE the opposite end where the wires come out.  This will release the crimp connector and allow it to pull out.  Your new wire can then be soldered to the back of the crimp connector, and pushed back into the connector housing.  Do this on both sides, and re-assemble the turn signals.

I made an aluminum bracket to hold the buzzer along side the existing USB charging port.


A piggyback connector was used to utilize the negative connector from the USB charge port.  The common side of the diode was connected to the positive terminal of the buzzer.  I shrink-wrapped the diodes in yellow and drew their symbol on the shrink tube, so I remember what's in there years from now.


There you have it!  All done.







No comments:

Post a Comment