Thursday, March 5, 2009

Worm drive unit reassembled

I actually put something back together.  The worm drive unit was an easy fix; all it needed was a good cleaning.  I made sure the shims all went in the way they came out.  I forgot about the breather hole at first, but checked it after re-assembly to insure that the passage was clear.  Nothing worse than having a rear drive unit heat up and push all its oil out the seals.  I've seen this happen on Guzzis before and didn't want my Sunbeam to do the same thing.

Here it is all assembled and waiting to go back on the frame.  Re-installation was easy, I used my method of a threaded rod to compress the springs.  The retaining shaft went in easily as well.  It will probably need a few squirts of grease before going anywhere, but its back on the frame.



I looked at the rear wheel.  Funny all the paint was missing off the drum area.  Looks like the original owner was one of those guys who only used the rear brake.

There's a stud with a nut on the rim, I assume its to keep something from turning inside the rim.  I wonder what kind of inner-tube I'll need?  Anyone listening who has a recommendation on inner-tubes?

1 comment:

  1. I very enjoy to read and watch your restoration process!

    Samuel
    S8 1949 #00123

    ReplyDelete