I decided that the oil switch (however reliable on the bench) is not sufficient for determining what's going on with the oil pressure. Thanks to Tiger Tom, we made an adapter out of a 1/8" Tee and cut off drilled 7/16" bolt. The switch now hangs under the spark cover, and the spark cover has been moved outward by 1/2"... this accommodates the 3/16" copper line that runs to a pressure gauge out of a Sunbeam Alpine (So generously donated by Tiger Tom). I should just be able to glance down between my leg and the seat to see the gauge.
I'll allow the Permatex "Right Stuff" used to seal the adapter to the block to set up for a day or so. Then fire it up and see what the oil pressure is.