Monday, September 14, 2009

Jet Block knocked out and cleaned

Many thanks to all the members of Classic Glory who helped me along the way.  I wouldn't have been able to do this without support.

There was some question whether I had the right Amal carburettor.  I confirmed all the parts measured the right specs according to everyone's input.  The only thing I hadn't done was to remove the jet block from the carb body.  All the self-help information said NOT to do this.  Well, I couldn't very well make it any worse could I?  So I heated up the carb body and used some wooden blocks to dislodge and knock the jet block from the carb body.  I found some considerable filth lurking in there.  Certainly a few of the passageways were blocked.  I scrubbed it clean with a toothbrush and some parts cleaner.  Then followed up with carb cleaner and compressed air.  Don't worry about the dremel... I wasn't using that on the carb.  The former owner must have soldered the pieces of wire to the adjuster screws.  That's a pain in the neck when all the surrounding parts are HOT and you can't use a screwdriver.

No one was around to capture my victory lap on video, so this photo at the neighbor's house will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment