Saturday, August 22, 2009

Engine and Gearbox mated

Today was a good day.  I got my lovely wife to help me put the first two clutch retaining nuts on while I compressed the springs by pressing the pressure plate while the front of the engine pushed against the wall on my workbench.  The clutch pulled together nicely, and I felt it lined up well too using my makeshift alignment tool (deepwell socket with the bolt stuck through it to center the clutch).  The gearbox slid right onto the mounting studs.  With a little persuasive jiggling of the output shaft with the gearbox in 2nd it slid together.  Ahhh,  I'm a happy guy.

Now I just have to get the tires sorted out.  Frapping Chinese tube blew on the rear tire already.  The front one still doesn't want to seat in.  I'm just going to take it to someone, and have them put a tube in.  I can't deal with it anymore.

So, I started some cleanup work.  I finished cleaning the frame, and preparing it to receive an engine.  The foot rest rubbers were pretty faded and ugly.  Then I remembered what Burt Munro did to hide the cracks in his tires.  Shoe Polish !!!  And quite appropriately its Kiwi.  I brushed some on and worked it in till the rubbers looked good... not new, but appropriately good.  The stuff will inevitably wipe off on my trousers.

No comments:

Post a Comment