Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Armature and timing cover removed

I finally dedicated some time to taking the flywheel and armature off.  PBlaster is a great penetrating oil.  Just a few squirts and a day of waiting and everything came right off.

Well, I did have to fashion a slide hammer for the armature.  I tapped out a 7/16" bolt thread into the armature just a few threads.  Then I made this slide hammer and it came right off with a few pulls.



It here's what I found when the timing cover came off.  Not much to see, but I'll have to line up the timing marks to see how everything is supposed to go back together.  Long bolt goes in the top of the timing cover.  Why its chewed up, I don't know yet.




The seals are naturally petrified.  The timing cover seal has apparently no metal backing built into it, since it sits inside the timing cover and needs to be pried out rather than slid out the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment