Monday, January 26, 2009

Rear Drive Teardown

I started to tear down the rear drive unit.  The seals are shot, so the whole thing should be taken apart and inspected before I put new seals in.  The U-joint gave some trouble in removing it from the flange.  I had to drench it in penetrating oil for a few days before it would come apart, and even then it took quite a bit of persuasion with a putty knife and hammer.

The brake shoes gave me a little grief in the removal process, so I ended up making a tool to remove the shoes without getting any fingers pinched, etc.  I don't know how I functioned without a MIG welder in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment