The S7 Deluxe does run as received. Not well, and not with much oil pressure, but it does run.
I have no KEY!!! There was a temporary toggle installed by the previous owner, so that had to go. I want a key and I want it to work. So, I took the keyswitch apart. All you do is unsolder the nut on the center of the switch assembly, then unscrew it. Then poke each of the tumblers from front to back and it pops out. I found a key that fit and then ground down the spots that didn't quite make the tumblers line up. (It happened to be a key to the back door of my grandmothers house which we changed over 30 years ago, and I was given the key to play with.) I still had it tucked away in a box... never throw anything away! Only one spot on the key had to be built up. I've got a key that works ... Fantastic!
I've finally had a few evenings to devote to the S7. There are so many things to do its hard to know where to start. The carb has been exhibiting lean tendancies with the needle in the full rich position, so I tore that apart first. The bottom of the carb was improperly assembled with the gasket material bunched up and not allowing the piece to fully seat. This caused an air gap along the inner assembly of the carb. Ah Ha... one problem solved! It was a chore to take apart. I had to mount the carb in the BIG bench vise, heat the bottom with a torch and gently apply pressure to unscrew it. The bowl needed cleaned too, it was full of junk. The main jet was clean, and the mixture screw and jet got blown out as well.
I then started wiring the back of the bike. The original wires were shot. I got the taillight re-soldered, but had to stop since I didn't have a replacement grommet for the fender. I will probably remove the fender to change the tire anyway... and to clean up 50 years of dirt from the fender. A set of barrel connectors between the fender and right-side electrical box are probably a good idea to allow easy removal of the fender without disconnecting all the wires at the terminals. One frapping screw on the brake switch is stuck. I don't want to force it and am reluctant to use the scrap of wire that's attached to it. It may have to stay since it only needs to reach the horn.
Ahhh the horn. I didn't want to pay for an original, so a VW horn is being used. It looks silly because its all bright shiny and new. Oh well.
I used an ez-out to removed a sheared screw from the dipper switch. The insulation of the wires was bad, but not completely gone, so some liquid electrical tape did the job temporarily reassembling the whole thing. The horn button was re-attached as well. Not sure its getting a good earth, so that may have to be re-visited.