Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Seat Frame

The seat frame was really ugly.  It was just all rust and no paint left, so I figured since I'm recovering the seat, then the frame needs to be restored as well.  It looks rather like a medievil torture device all bead blasted.

Tiger Tom was kind enough to allow me to use the bead blaster and paint booth, since its too cold to paint outside.

It looks much better now and will be protected for years to come.  You don't really see it, so I used a semi-gloss enamel finish.  I should have tried an epoxy finish, but this enamel should do.

I picked up some vinyl material and some rivets to use for the cover.  The rivets are chrome, so I'll most likely electroplate those brass so they don't stick out too much and make it blend into the rest of the bike.

The next task is to decide what I want to do with the exhaust header.  I COULD order a new one, since this one has been patched twice, the bike was laid down on it, and its all rusted.  Its a simple part to replace at a later time, if I so desire.  So, I think I'll fill in the holes with the mig welder and some sheetmetal I have laying around.  Then cover the nasty parts with refractory cement, and finally wrap the whole thing with fiberglass heat tape.  I did this on my Yamaha XS650 and it turned out nicely.  Its strictly aesthetics.  No one wants to see a bunch of weld patches.




1 comment: