Wednesday, January 1, 2014

"Project Bantam" - gearbox teardown

The axle shafts on the gearbox were flopping around in their bushings, so I knew there was going to be some parts replacement inside.  I just didn't think it would be this bad.  I was told that the brass ring gear had been repaired once before.  That didn't console me much either, since I knew it was probably bodged back together.  My father didn't have a lathe at the time, so the previous repair would have been dodgy.
 

Opening the cover on the gearbox revealed a lot of sludge, but no broken parts.  It all came apart easily by following the overhaul instructions.  The back of the shift shaft was a little rusty, so that had to be addressed before the shift fork would come off.  Otherwise the bearings look relatively good, and I took note of the part number on the input shaft seal.  "Victor 62012", which is supposed to cross over to "Federal Mogul 470954".  The axle shaft seals were so bad, I couldn't even read them, they're supposed to cross over to "Federal Mogul 254287".
The gearbox wasn't a problem, it came apart easily from the differential.  The worm gear pulled out without any problem and showed some wear.  Opening the differential showed the horror of the main failure.
It seems a lot of the teeth had dissolved into sludge.
The spider gears look ok.  They don't seem to have any significant wear.
Cleaning everything out was a several hour process.
 
The axle bushing is obviously broken off causing the excessive wear of the teeth.

I doubt this gear salvageable, I supposed I must obtain a new (different) one...



No comments:

Post a Comment