Saturday, January 11, 2014

"Project Bantam" - magnamatic ignition

I came across this article in Gas Engine Magazine, and I'm certainly glad I did.
http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-engines/cheap-fix.aspx
The author showed how to fit a common B&S coil to the Magnamatic Ignition on this model FB engine. The concept is simple. Remove enough material from the core to make it fit under the flywheel. And it is tight.
Original Coil
After some careful hacksaw work and filing, and I think it turned out rather well. I did not use a hoseclamp like the fellow in the article. I fashioned two spring clips to emulate the original ones. I made them VERY tight, and also put a screw on one side to positively locate the coil along the shaft axis, as an added measure to make sure it doesn't wander around due to vibrations.
Modified Coil
Modified Coil and Core assembly

No comments:

Post a Comment