Saturday, July 16, 2011

Alternator - The Build

From the last post, I've got pictures of the Kubota alternator all dismantled.  Next comes the modification pieces.

I've made an adapter ring plate to which flat bars will be welded to hold the case of the dynamo to the engine block.  This has the challenge of interference with the side of the case.  The cap screws that I will use will have to be ground down somewhat, and the side of the dynamo case ground down to accommodate the screws.  This should hold the case firmly to the engine block.



The next big item is machining the crankshaft adapter.  This will be a copy of the back of the armature, which will allow the magnet of the alternator to bolt directly to the crankshaft.  Here's a picture of it just started out of a piece of roundstock.  I'll need to get a parting tool for the lathe before I finish the part.



Here are the plans for the finished part.

1 comment:

  1. Waiting for the parting tool for the lathe. I know, I took it out, but I can get it back in the chuck and line it up really well before cutting off the excess material from the back. I wanted to make sure it fit the crank before cutting it off. That would be even worse, since there's no way to chuck it back in after its been cut to size axially.

    ReplyDelete