Saturday, February 14, 2009

A clean work area is a happy work area

The anticipation of buying a lathe has prompted me to clean my work area.  The warm weather this weekend was very oppourtune to get the frame out of the shop area and hydrospray it really well.  I managed to knock off almost all the caked-on grease from the frame and centerstand.

I put the bike on a new clean piece of cardboard and moved it out where the Guzzi was stored for the winter.  I stepped away for one second to grab a board to put the centerstand on.  Wouldn't you know it... the frame toppled over... I grabbed it just in time before it hit the red Imp.  That was a close one.

One side benefit to having cats is all the empty buckets left over from cat litter.  They make great storage buckets.  I gathered all the loose parts for the bike together, bagged them and put them in cat litter buckets.

Here's the lathe.  I had just enough room for it. Its an old model, but it still works.  The machined surfaces have some surface rust, but they cleaned up nicely.  I think I have all the gears for the auto threading system too.  I cleaned out the oil pots and filled them, ran the adjustments in and out to make sure they were fully lubricated.

Hopefully, I'll be ready to make that clutch pushrod receiver after I get the engine torn down the rest of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment