Thursday, December 4, 2008

Small amount of paint

The battery box was so corroded, I couldn't see putting it all back together in that condition.  So, I cleaned it out and shot it with some paint.  I also took all the little rubber bumpers in the battery holder bracket, and cleaned them up.  A little silicone grease should also help preserve them and keep them from getting hard.

I'll wax the crap out of the electrical boxes before assembly to protect the rusted areas and maintain that patina of a well used antique motorcycle.  The trick will be to get a good frame ground when I re-assemble.  I'm thinking of running a dedicated lead to the engine block.  That only leaves the tail light with dependency on the frame for ground, which is easy enough to correct.  The odometer sheath apparently provides the ground to the headlamp bucket.  It may not be a bad idea to run a ground lead along side the odometer cable and ground the headlamp bucket properly.

The spiral wrap loom for the wiring harness worked out rather well.  The bracket that held the harness to the frame spine tube was pretty rotted, and without the rubber grommet that had petrified it was rather useless.  I found a hydrasorb clamp rubber that was just the right diameter to match the spine tube.  It will be used to hold the harness and odometer cable in place.

I also just won a set of box spanners on eBay.  That will allow me to pull the oil pan off and see what's going on in there.  It will also be a good opportunity to stop the oil leaks.  With questionable oil pressure, I may be pulling the mains to check the wear at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment