Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Hoist? Who needs a stinking hoist?

The nice thing about working on motorcycles is that all the parts are relatively light and managable without heavy equipment.  The engine came out rather easily after draining the fluids and unfastening the motor mounts.

Note to self... the rear axle is left-handed.\; as is the gearchange pedal pinchbolt.

Also note... the top snubber assembly goes on this way

I actually think this engine and gearbox is lighter than my Yamaha XS650 engine.  It doesn't look like it is.

My first order of parts came in from Stewarts yesterday.  I have almost all the shaft seals I need, and I also got the front engine snubbers and the flex joint for the exhaust.  (Won't be needing that for a while).

The first thing to do is get the gearbox off the engine, so its easier to work on, and check the condition of the seals.  There seems to be a lot of grease and oil coming from the clutch area, so I'm guessing they're shot.   I guess the second thing to do is pull the bottom,  muck out the oil sump (hopefully not much muck in there).  Then check the bearing clearances.  If I'm clever enough, maybe I can figure out a way to clean out the bypass valve on the oil pump to make sure there's no debris in there.



No comments:

Post a Comment