Saturday, November 22, 2008

Spanners arrive disassembly ensues

I managed to get some nice Whitworth combination spanners for a reasonable price.  That made further disassembly of the bike possible.

I didn't take any pictures, but I did manage to flash the field coil of the generator, and get it to charge.  Not sure if it was a good solid charge, but the red indicator light went out.  That's enough for now, at least I know it may mean only an adjustment to the regulator, and that the dynamo itself is good.

Here's the bad part.  I tested the oil pressure switch AGAIN, this time with a gauge T-ed into the line to measure what was going on.  Its pretty conclusive that the switch is fully functional at the 8 to 10 psi range.  It turns on and off fairly consistently.  This is bad because on the bike, the light never goes out.



The switch is stamped 10psi.

So then I wanted to see how much actual oil pressure the bike developed running with the choke on (since that's the only way it runs right now, carb problem not fixed).  I jammed a hose into the oil pressure switch port in the side of the engine.  I didn't want to push oil into my gauge, so I fitted my vacuum test jar in line with the gauge, hooking the short tube to the gauge.  Well, it developed a nice 8psi or so until I shut it down.  I didn't think that the air space inside the jar would fill up with oil.  I pumped a cup or so of oil out of the engine.  WOW its green... must be that Indian oil the guy I bought it from put in it.  Probably good Caster Oil based stuff.



I grabbed the camera just in time to see the oil pressure bleed back under 8psi.  But it did reach 8... but I shut it down when I realized the jar was filling up... would it have made it to 10?  What's an acceptable oil pressure for this engine?  Should I be concerned?  Is the pump bypass valve leaking, or is it worn out?  Grrrr.  Both mean it should be stripped down if 10psi is too low.



My new spanners got a workout while I pondered the oil pressure situation.  I went straight for the tank and seat to get them out of the way.  The tank is missing one mounting stud in the front left.  The seat gave me some fits while I tried to dismantle it.  I should have taken the front bolt out first, and left the springloaded part where it was.  The seat is all nasty and rusty.  Its going to be re-covered, since the original seat is basically shredded.  I took the mounting bolts out of the electrical boxes too, since the lid on the one hits the frame when it closes.  I think there should be a washer or something underneath to keep it from hitting when I re-assemble.







Everything is covered in 50 years of filth.  It makes me want to strip it down blast it clean, and paint it.  I have such an urge to polish it and paint it, even though I know I shouldn't.  One thing is for certain.  Someone welded ears on the front of the seat to make it higher.  I'm going to take those off so the seat can sit down in the notch in the gas tank where its supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment